I thought it would be fun to make some homemade cheese buns the other day, but while scrolling through recipes I saw bread sticks! The idea was to make them to have a few with dinner that night, and the rest for the kids school lunches. Well, they were so good we ate all but two that night, so it was a win of a recipe, but a fail of an idea!
I love making homemade bread, and have shared my love for 5 Minute Artisan Bread before. It is so easy to make, and is honestly the best bread you will ever eat! So I whipped up a batch of the dough, and turned half into bread sticks, and the other half will be baked this weekend into a regular loaf (the bread tastes even better after the dough has been sitting in the fridge for a few days!)
These are simple enough to make, and honestly they don’t need to look perfect, so don’t worry about that. The rustic homemade look is in anyways, right?!
Follow the dough recipe from Artisanbreadinfive.com (or use your favourite dough, store bought would probably work just fine too!).Chill the dough in the fridge for a few minutes, while you get the other ingredients ready, it’s easier to work with when cold. If you make the full recipe I linked to, you’ll only need 1/4 of it for the 12 twists.
Let the twists rest for 20 minutes before baking. This is a great time to clean up the counter, and preheat the oven to 375.
Bake for 18-20, until golden brown and crispy.
And now the hardest step: try not to eat them all before your family gets to try them!
Now Not A Coupon Queen has EASY Printable Recipes!
Cheesy Garlic Bread Twists
Crispy, crunchy and cheesy! Delicious cheesy garlic bread sticks!
Ingredients-Bread dough (see above) -3 tbsp melted butter -pinch of garlic powder -flour (for dusting your surface) -1 cup grated cheese (I used a sharp cheddar)
- On a well floured surface, roll the dough out into a square, about a 1/4 inch thick.
- Mix the garlic powder with the melted butter.
- Spread 2 tbsp of the butter mixture on the dough.
- Add the cheese to half the buttered dough.
- Fold the dough over and press down firmly (this will help when twisting the dough).
- Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife cut the dough into 12 1 inch strips, and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Carefully twist each strip a couple times.
- Brush with the remaining butter mixture.
- Let the twists rest for 20 minutes before baking.
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Bake for 18-20, until golden brown and crispy.